UNESCO Regional Consultation about Holocaust and Genocide Education in Latin America
This consultation with Latin American Member States sought to raise awareness amongst policy-makers and education specialists of the region about the history of the Holocaust, as it can contribute to the prevention of genocide, following United Nations General Assembly resolution 60/7 on Holocaust remembrance. The meeting will fostered cooperation between UNESCO and Member States on education about the history of genocide and mass atrocities, notably the Holocaust, with a view of introducing the subject in the curriculum and of developing relevant educational programmes in the region.The project aims to:
- Strengthen educational leaders’ awareness and support for Holocaust remembrance and for education about the history of genocide and mass atrocities, in line with regional efforts to foster education for peace and human rights.
- Increase the implementation of programmes in favour of education about the history of the Holocaust and other genocides, and support interested Ministries of Education in introducing these subjects in the curriculum.
- Foster regional exchanges about and facilitate access to good practices regarding Holocaust and genocide related issues and peace education.
• Interview with Celeste Adamoli and Emmanuel Kahan of the Education and Remembrance Programme at the Argentine Education Ministry.
• Interview with Frank Chalk, Director of the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies at Concordia University • The Holocaust and the United Nations Outreach Programme. • 27 de enero, International Holocaust Remembrance Day